Name Change

In order to change the your legal name, a petition for name change must be filed with the appropriate chancery court.  Provided that the purpose for the proposed change would not further a fraudulent scheme or interfere with the rights of others, an adult may voluntarily change his or her name.  However, where a parent or guardian desires to change the name of a minor, such request should only be granted in situations where evidence clearly indicates that the proposed change is in the child’s best interest.  After the petition is filed, a hearing will be conducted.  If the court deems appropriate, an order changing name will be entered. 

Copyright 2013-2014 Tingle Law Group, PLLC.  All Rights Reserved.